Monday, February 25, 2013

The Devil in the IF’s


I will spend all of my life learning how to be a better husband.  I thought I was all prepared for Valentine’s Day.  I had a few gifts.  As I purchased a Valentine’s card, the cashier directed me to a carousel stand with all the Valentines.  Many cards did not fit.  The one I bought was nice.  It was red on the outside and hearts.  So I got it.  Obviously when I signed it, I did not look at it carefully because it said…Happy Birthday.   I am in trouble.
            If I had just taken more time.   If I had just gone to the other store. 
            If I had just not listened to what the store employee told me.
            If I had just read it more carefully.

I will be the first to admit that I am still learning and I am glad Penny is forgiving.

I am convinced that we all have much to learn, especially in this journey called faith.  We all have to face tests and challenges…at work, in our families, and among our friends.  Should we take a shortcut at work?  Can we stay on our exercise plan and stay with our diet?    If I fudge or cheat a bit….will it really matter.  If, if, if.

A LIFE IN FAITH IS A JOURNEY WITH MANY TESTS

In Jesus, we have one of God’s best invitations to become a mature disciple.   The season of Lent invites us to make our discipleship deeper and broader. 

One does not become a Christian by intellectually studying of the facts of Jesus’ life…though that helps.  One does not become a Christian by agreeing to a set of beliefs or ethical standards.  One becomes a Christian by being changed by some experience of the Holy Spirit.  Something happens which draws us to God.  It can happen in so many different ways, there is no way to count them.  It could happen in prayer, in worship, on a retreat or at summer camp, helping with Vacation Bible School, or on a mission trip.  Something fundamental changes when we follow Jesus. 

What is given to us as a gift is a new start, a new focus, a new joy.  A new quality of life (called eternal life) is given and we become more alive.  I believe that it is an action of God in the life of that person.

But that is just the beginning.  A human baby fresh from a mother’s womb is a person, but so much of life is yet to come…so many adventures yet to reveal who that person is to become.  The many twists and turns, the many paths taken and the others not taken, bring us to places where our faith is tested and changed.

I am still learning daily.   But most of all I am thankful for the overwhelming sense of joy and peace know that I am a child of God and that God loves me more than I deserve and more than I can discover in a lifetime.  And there is great joy in knowing that I am part of a sacred marriage that means more to me than any of the other of God’s gifts.  And I am always amazed at the blessing of living in an every growing community of faith that helps me and others grow spiritually.  And finally, the hope of heaven gives my life comfort and anticipation.

JESUS, NEWLY BAPTIZED, IS TESTED IN THE WILDERNESS

Jesus is just about to take people into a new kingdom and he knows he will play the main role.  He must figure it out finding his relationship with God and people.  What kind of king will he be and what kind of kingdom?   What is he going to do with his amazing power?  We will use them selfishly or for others.  Wisdom is knowing what to do at the right time.  Skill is knowing how to do it.  Maturity is doing it.
He decides in this test that to take the quick and easy is not, for him the right way.

To me, the Devil is a description of the forces that separate us from God and others. It is what drives us away from cooperation, community, peace, dialogue, and true understanding.  It is what keeps afraid of love and forgiveness and boldness.  It is what holds us back from becoming what God intends.  It is what makes us think we are better, smarter, and morally superior than others. 

I am certain there are many ways that evil works through IF.  “If” is a conditional term that offers excuses, outs, loopholes, and evasions of responsibility.   It places the responsibility with the other person. 

IF#1
            If you are really the Son of God…change stones into bread
            If you really loved hungry people…you could feed them all with your power.
            If you did that…you will be their hero.
            If you just did that, no one would have to share their own bread with others.
            If you follow the evil you will take a fake identity shortcut…the quick fix. 
            You do not have to wait for God to tell you when….do it now and you will have it all.
                    
Jesus did not take the easy, quick fix.  And in that decision he will become a bread of heaven…so that we, you and me, might feed on him in their hearts by faith.

Years ago the Mayor of Mexico City invited Mother Teresa to form a mission center to feed people.  After she set up the program she and the sisters went out among the poor and homeless, they wanted to know about Jesus.  That hunger was even stronger than their physical hunger.
           
IF#2
Jesus….if you just become the king of all these kingdoms of the world.
                        You will have to kill some people to beat the other kings.
                        But you will be the most popular king on earth and you can do for
                        do so much good.
            Jesus chose instead to become the king of every heart. 
                        This kingdom of love will not be any one country in particular
                        But bridge every country…a kingdom without borders
                        Instead of walking as a king where everyone is his servant,
                        Jesus will walk about the poor and marginalized and
                        He will serve his people. 
                        Where people are excluded and violence is the way….that is
                        Not God’s kingdom.
IF#3
            If you are really the son of God you can sacrifice yourself…jump…do it
                        Now.  You will show everyone that God will save you. 
            You can show us right now how good and great God is and how much he
                        Loves you.  Show us.  Right now!

Jesus knew there is no rushing God.  God is God.  It will happen when God is ready. 
Jesus does not get caught in the traps:
            It’s about me, here and now, power for me.
            It’s about fear and scarcity.
            It’s about grabbing power and rushing God.
Jesus chose to trust God, God’s timing, God’s abundance.
            It’s about trusting God that there will be enough.           

Jesus walked in very dry, dark, and scary places so we could learn.

Howard Johnson, our District Superintendent, recently told about a Native American pastor who gave the sermon at his seminary.  He gave this idea:  I hope white men and women can live in long enough that they will learn to know they do not own the earth, the earth owns us all.  I hope they learn to love the earth before they destroy it in selfishness.   It is possible that we live for a misguided “if” and destroy so much of what God created for us.

Jesus shows us how to live with, with God’s will, in God’s time, and in love without the “if’s.”

I think the most amazing things I ever saw in my life are the cathedrals of Europe.  I was blown away and often ponder how they could have made them so high, so ornate, so beautiful, so magnificent!  The stone carvers were amazing.  And one of the most amazing things ever is that the stone carvers did not sign their work.  It was only for the glory of God. 

Our life journey is one of spiritual growth to become who God make us to be.  It helps to leave behind the “if’s” and “but’s” for love.  Jesus did.

No comments:

Post a Comment