Wednesday, July 3, 2013

We Get to Carry One Another - Galatians 5:1, 13-26

It is Stampede time and country music lovers are in town for a good time.   I was really worried about them during the storm that came through.  We were in the middle of our closing party enjoying ice cream and popcorn.  And people come up to me and show me on their phones and then I got a call of warning.  So I told people about the storm and they disappeared.  Several people told me:  “Boy, you know how to clear a room!”

 I did not have the opportunity to learn to like country music.  But I know important music is for them and for all people everywhere.   I see in the Stampede so many longings for music, meaning, community, and hope for this world.   Part of it is a search for those things.   I know that it is a temptation of the church to sit in judgment on the Stampede.  And yes, some do get carried away doing very dangerous things.  But the other side is important to look at too. 

People are seeking truth and meaning.  I also do not care for a lot of contemporary Christian music because it seems to push a message rather than following truth wherever it leads. 

This week I read a book about U2 by Gregg Garrett.  While not Country music, U2  shows the power of music.  All of us have heard a song that moved us deeply.  Millions of people have been moved by their music.  The band was very involved in a church-related group in Dublin called Shalom, and how they left because of all the unreasonable rules.   It was a classic struggle between law and freedom.   The band has given millions to help others.  The concerts have a quality of people being gathered up in a purpose to connect each person to the rest of the world.  Their songs are about people on a journey, learning how to find meaning together.  Their themes are very much like the themes for VBS this week…being neighbors, good neighbors, giving neighbors, bold neighbors, and forgiving neighbors.   U2 music might not always sound Christian, but what could be more Christ-like than what they do for the poor.   Their songs encourage people to put their faith into action for the sake of the poor.

The young people at the lake, like all of us are asking questions:
            What can we know about God?
            With whom can we share our spiritual journey?
            What will make me a better person?
            How can I help make the world a better place?

When the songs of this band talk about the journey, I am certainly with them. 

            I believe when the kingdom comes
            Then all the colors will bleed into one
            Bleed into one
            But yes I’m still running.
            You broke the bonds.
            You loosened the chains.
            You carried the cross of my shame.
            You know I believed it
            But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for.

Those are the same as my questions.  From the beginning of the Bible to the end, those are the questions we are to live.  Young people are saying: don’t claim to have all of my answers, before you know me.  Let’s learn together what God is saying in our day.  Almost every day I thank God that we have here in the church younger and older together.  It is happening in churches less and less.  And I am certain it is God at work here and I am so grateful.

I am also sad that many of those persons at the lake do not believe that the very things they are seeking can be found in a church.  They are certain that the church has nothing to offer them in their search.  I am also equally sad that one response the church makes is that we do not want them.  I hear in U2 music a teaching of a message that will make the world a better place. 

When Penny and I were in Ireland, the tour bus drove us by Bono’s house.   Bono is a celebrity redefining what a rock star can be.  He is not known for his trashing of hotel rooms or creating scandals.  His work is more toward motivating us to do something about world hunger or fighting malaria. 

One biblical theme of U2 is that if want to find God, one place to look is the needs of your neighbors.  The love of God for us, our love for God, and love for neighbor connected in a close bond.   Yes, we learn a great deal about God in Bible Study, Sunday School, hymns…but can serious talk about God’s values come from a rock star?  I would say, “Yes!”

One story of VBS was the Good Samaritan.  Jesus told the story to someone on a journey, seeking truth and hoping to score points.  “What must I do to inherit eternal life?”  Jesus asked him “What is written in the law?” That story is like the joke in which the Gentile complains: “The trouble with you Jews is that you answer my questions with other questions?  Says the Jew: “Why not?”  He answers that the purpose of life is to love God and neighbor as your self….great answer!   And Jesus answers back: “Do that and you will live.”

William Sloane Coffin, Jr. once said that the Priest and the Levite did not stop and help the man injured and robbed because they were in a hurry to attend a meeting on how to increase the safety of travelers on the road.  Love alone is the expression of being free and alive. 

This week the Bible stories taught us showed to define neighbor the way Jesus did.
The person to whom Jesus told the Good Samaritan story was certain that the idea was to love other Jews, not Samaritan.  Jesus made the despised Samaritan the hero.  I feel sorrow every day when racism declares something at the expense of someone else.  Jews and Palestinians are our neighbors.    It is a fact that no one’s heart is as wide as God’s love.

Chad Bunger of our church is alive because of Good Samaritan in the form of fellow runners.  Chad was out running with a group of runners a week ago yesterday.  He was running and all of sudden his heart stopped.  With the help of those who stayed with him and gave him CPR, he is alive.   One of the amazing ironies of his amazing journey is that for 10 years he taught CPR and taught others how to teach CPR.  It is quite possible that someone he directly or indirectly taught saved his life.

The early church had Jewish Christians and Gentile Christians.  The Jewish Christians were tempted to return to all of the rules of the law.  Paul reminds them that the law was the tutor or teacher…until the power of goodness of Jesus Christ brought freedom. 

Another image of what Jesus has done for us is one taken from the Peanuts cartoons.  Charlie Brown is all disturbed.  He is grumping…”I can’t do it.  I can’t do it.”  Lucy comes and offers advice.  “What is wrong?”  “What can’t you do?”  CB says, “I want to build things and I need a workbench.  But I cannot build a workbench because I don’t have a workbench to build it on.”  Jesus is that starting point upon which we can rebuild ourselves first and then the world.  Jesus is the liberator that gets us unstuck and keeps us free and responsible. 

I close with an event that happened this week with Christopher Shanklin.  During the children’s moments last week, Brady was whispering to me that his brother was going to the Kansas City Royals game.  And then I got to hear the story of how Christopher got, not one, but two foul balls.  Some people go for years and do not get one.  And what did he do?  He shared it with another kid who did not get one.

There is a U2 Song, One: We’re one but not the same/We get to carry each other.  One life/with each other/Sisters/Brothers/one life/But we’re not the same/we get to carry one another.

I close with the Message by Eugene Peterson.  It is the same text but beautifully written: 

“Christ has set us free to live a free life.  So take you stand!  Never again let anyone put a harness of slavery on you. 


It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life.  Just make sure that you don’t use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom.  Rather use your freedom to serve one another in love; that’s how freedom grows.  For everything we know about God’s Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself.  That’s an act of true freedom.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment